Saturday, August 30, 2008

SO Proud

I didn't ask for permission, but I'm posting an email I received from my mom. I wish I had the picture to attach with it. Maybe she'll send it to me later.
By reading the following you will gain a greater understanding as to why I have certain qualities that I do: strong willed, work hard, never quit, and inspire.
I love you Mom and I am so proud of you. You have re-taught us (your kids) that even the seemingly impossible are possible. With dad doing "the bike ride" and now you with the mini triathlon...we have no excuse to go out and achieve the things we want/should accomplish!!
Thank you


I DID IT! I FINISHED THE TRIATHALON AND WAS NOT EVEN THE LAST ONE OVER THE FINISH LINE!

I believe I'm going to wear my participant tshirt, medal (gratis to all), and permanent marked number and age on leg to church tomorrow. I'm just a little too proud that I was not carried away on a stretcher.

For those of you who are exercise gurus, this is a piece of cake. However, for me, I am tickled that I swam 400 meters, biked 2.5 miles and walk/ran 1.4 miles without stopping. I'm tearing up as I type this. YES, obese women can be victorious. Of course, victorious is all relative. After the swim, I was overwhelmed but excited that I was in the upper 20% of the group. Not bad, after getting kicked in the head and gulping nasty lake water. I knew the bike portion (have you seen my thighs?) would be my saving grace.

After a HORRIBLE transition: dropping my water bottle, trying to get my shoe tongue untwisted, and veering off toward the bystanders, I was off to gain momentum. I was flying down the hills (thank-you extra poundage) screaming at the volunteers, 'Short track?' so as not to miss turns, I passed athletes like crazy. I really wanted to catch up to a friend that I had beat swimming (she had awesome transition) and a freakin' buff friend who beat me swimming. Unfortunately, a bike rider must be smarter than her bike. I screwed up shifting. I could hear my husband's voice in my head, 'Strategically shift, get ready to shift to a harder gear when almost at the peak.' Well, anxiety (imagine that) took over and I just messed up and was spinning out of control going down the hill gaining little momentum for the final hill. I did catch studmuffin at the transition as I seriously almost took a serious rider out! I couldn't get off the bike fast enough. Thankfully, I just pulled the bike back - picture roping a steer- and all was well. Then, the dreaded run. Imagine an overweight woman in spandex trying to run uphill! Not pretty!

The final phase - run/walk began uphill. I was thinking, 'There is no way in HELL that I can finish this race!' My legs felt like iron. I felt like I was carrying two medicine balls and I was thirsty. I ran down hill and couldn't breathe. This large lady ran past me and shouted, 'You were awesome on the bike - you inspired me.' (Great, I'm an inspiration for the big.) The comment gave me an extra spring in my step. About thirty seconds later two runners ran by and congratulated me on a great ride. Again, more fuel for the fire. I believe I ran a bit after each comment. Runners from the short course passed me in droves - it seemed. Truly, I was the weakest link in the running portion. I had to do some major self-talk running across the dam (don't want to walk because your in complete view of the friends and family on the other side of the lake) and wanted to just stop. After the dam, an incredibly steep hill awaited me. UNBELIEVABLE, I tell you. Only one animal, the male sort, ran by me - everyone walked it. I stopped halfway to catch a breath. Two long puffs and I was off to finish. I had about 80 meters left and I done...and an angel, Michelle, a 27 yr old, came behind me and congratulated me for job well done. I grunted, 'I'm done...bonked...' She said - here come the tears again - 'I'll finish with you. We can do this,' and we did! My photo finish is running side by side with Michelle whom I thought was way ahead of me. I'm so glad she was there for me.

The icing on the cake is that our group of 8 women all finished within seconds of each other and were mid or upper finishers.

PLEASE JOIN US NEXT YEAR FOR THE MOST BEAUTIFUL, FRIENDLY, INSPIRING TRIATHALON AT LAKE OF THE PINES, AUBURN, CA.


Ann

6 comments:

Jan said...

Oh, how I love reading this!! What's interesting to me is that your mom is far from obese -- but I am so PROUD of her! She's AWESOME!

ALF said...

Your mom is the best.

Ashley said...

what an accomplishment! she'll cherish this forever! thanks for sharing.

Anonymous said...

Holy cow, Andre'e. I'm going to frame your post and hang it up! Thanks for the kind words.

I think we should all start training now and have a big ol' party in Auburn next Labor Day.

Way, way fun!

Aimee said...

That is amazing. If only I could do that

Anonymous said...

YA!!!!!! Way to go Ann! Rock on, sounds like you rocked it for sure:) I'm jealous, I would have loved to do that race. Keep it up girl!