Monday, September 3, 2007

Marquette


As many of you know, Chris and I took a trip last Wed-Friday to visit with the director of admissions at Marquette dental school.
The trip started off great. We left Utah around 4ish and got into O'Hare around 8. We stopped at Chili's Too in the airport for some grub before picking up our Dodge Charger (Chris upgraded for a "small" fee). I guess the salesman talked Chris into it, though I don't think there was much persuading to be done :-)
We drove promptly to my aunt and uncle's house in Wilmette (just north of Chicago). We had no trouble finding the cute little house. We chatted with Carrie (sp?) for a bit then headed to bed to rest up for an exciting day. On Thursday we woke up at 7am and drove almost 1.5 hours up to Milwaukee. We had an hour to kill so we went into Borders and got something to eat. After settling our stomachs and nerves, we headed to the dental school. First we met with the director and then the assistant director gave us a tour. "I'm glad you took the time to come see me here because I see a lot of people and they all start looking and sounding the same," were some comforting words to hear. All in all, the Marquette portion of the trip was fabulous. I was very impressed with everything...maybe Chris will talk about it later, maybe not.
Anyway, after Marquette, we had a little play time. We visited the Milwaukee Museum of Art and we found some Georgia O'Keeffe cards-and those of you that know me well know that I'm a sucker for her pelvis art work. Naturally, I bought a few of those. If you ever have the chance to visit Milwaukee, don't miss the MofA. It's incredible. The structure itself is a work of art. LOVED IT!!
After that we rode a joined bike along the lake front and talked with an elderly man who was fishing on the shore. I was also very jealous of the people flying kites. We visited the Kite Barn. Seriously, looks like a barn and they sell hundreds of kites. It phenomenal. Chris DID let me buy the "World's Smallest Kite," however. I think cuz it was only $2.50, but hey, I'm glad we got it!
Anyway, the day ended up being a pretty good day, despite the fact that we got lost, and i mean LOST, on our way back "home." So, i was sleeping, right? Well, when i woke up, naturally i asked, "Where are we?" and in response, Chris replied (all too naturally), " I don't know!" " You don't know?" "I don't know." So, we pulled out the map, and after a few U-turns, we made it back. Since we took longer than expected to get back, we stayed in Wilmette and went to the mall and ate at a restaurant there. Quite delightful.
Friday we woke up and went into Chicago with Jon. We ate potbellys-a marvelous sandwich shop, and then walked up and down Michigan Ave. We ended at the big park with the huge "lima bean thing" and the "faces of Chicago" --you know what i mean if you've ever been there!

Before leaving, we ate true Chicago pizza and headed to the airport--got gas so they didn't charge 6.75/gal; returned rental car; took shuttle to airport; forgot important bag with all my medication and sonicaire and Chris's razor; yadda yadda!!! Well, we called budget and I should be receiving the bag any day now.
So, that was our trip in a semi-cracked nut shell.

AND......All of this was made possible with funding from David Spillers and emotional supporters: like YOU!!
We love you guys/gals

3 comments:

ALF said...

woo! I love your blog! However, you never leave comments on MY blog and that makes me sad. I am crying.

Jan said...

Sounds like a great visit -- loved hearing about all that's going on with you guys. (love the pics too!)

Megan Alicia said...

i am reading your blog! it is quite informative. I do love your slidwshow. it's prolly the best one on the internet.
now that i read your blog can you stop asking me if i hate you?
I am glad that trip was so much fun!
-MeT